Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Little About me

I was born in January on a very cold and wintery day in South Gate California. The water pipes froze in the Los Angeles area at that time. I born premature and only weighed 4 lbs. They put mason jars filled with warm water in my bassinet to keep me warm. I was born into a very loving and happy family. My parents were immegrants from Germany. They both came here because of their love of the Gospel and THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTERDAY SAINTS.
At the time of my birth I had an older brother Rodney, who was 2 years old at that time. I had sleep apnea for almost 3 months and my dad would hold me all night when he came home from work because he was always afraid that I would not breath.

We lived in a spanish style house and I remember we had a wooden booth in our kitchen that was really high in the back and a wood table in the center which I can still see in my mind. It was painted a light green. This booth always seemed so cozy.

I especially remember that on Saturday's we would always go down to Brooklyn Avenue where the Jewish markets were and my parents would buy fresh herring and bring it home and my dad would pickle it and we would have pickled herring and boiled new potatoe with butter that night. And Saturdays where always the days we got ready for Sunday. Hair was washed and curled, shoes were polished everyone had a bath etc. My mom would roll are hair in these metal curlers and then we would ave to sit by the open oven door to dry our hair a little before we went to bed. My sister Rita and I really did not like sleeping on those curlers, they hurt you head a little but when we finally fell asleep we didn't notice them anymore. You just had to get your head comfortable on the pillow.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Great job, mutti! Keep it up!

Lisa Tucker said...

Mom, this looks fantastic! Great Job! It is soo you! I think I will wait till cindy gets here to start a blog.

Kristin said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you're posting again! Thanks for the mentions about me...helps keep me in the loop with everyone even though I haven't been able to keep up on my own lately because of everything.

I had to think and laugh a little when I read where you said everyone got a bath on Saturday. It probably was one of the few days a week you did get to bathe back in those days...but at least you got to bathe more than once a year like back the the 1500s!